S.E.N. and disability

Children may have special educational needs either throughout or at any time during their school career. The school ensures that children's need are identified as soon as possible to ensure that pupils are continually supported and challenged.

An educational need may be a child with learning difficulties in one or more areas but also can be a child who has a gift or talent that exceeds the ability of their peer group.

We believe that all pupils have individual needs, which the school is confident of meeting in all but very exceptional circumstances.

Every effort is made to ensure that they are given access to a broad and balanced curriculum. Advice is sought from professional agencies where appropriate and parents are fully involved at all stages.

The school's SEN co-ordinators are Mrs Akhurst and Mrs Lacy. 

Special Educational Needs and Disabilities: An Overview

The Children and Families Act, which has now become law from September 2014, has resulted in changes to the way you and your child receive support from your local council, health and social care services and nurseries, schools or colleges:

Statements of special educational needs and Learning Difficulty Assessments

These have been replaced with a single education, health and care (EHC) plan: this places much more emphasis on the child or young person's personal goals and describes the support a child will receive in order to achieve these. The plan replaces the need for multiple documents from different organisations. It ensures that all the information about the child or young person is held in the same place so that all of the professionals involved in the child's support are fully aware of all of their needs and aspirations, and plan together for how to meet them.

The EHC plan template for Central Bedfordshire has been drafted with parents and professionals in the light of the changes outlined in the Children and Families Act: sample documents are available from September 2014 and at

All children and young people who currently have a statement of SEN will move across to the EHC plans over the next three years. This will usually be at a time of transition for your child (for example when the child or young person changes school or goes to college), but as a parent/carer you can request an EHC Plan earlier if you wish.

Once your child has an EHC plan, you may choose to apply for a personal budget if you wish. A Personal Budget is designed to give you and your child more control over certain aspects of the support your child needs. A personal budget is a payment that is made to allow you to source and fund some of the services your child needs yourself. The amount you may be given, and how it could be spent, is something that would be agreed with the council. Details of eligibility for personal budgets are available from September 2014 at A Personal Budget is not compulsory, and parents are able to decide whether they wish to fund some of their child's support in this way or not.

SEN support (School Action and School Action Plus)

For children with less complex needs, School Action and School Action Plus (or Early Years Action and Early Years Action Plus in the early years) has been removed from the new SEND Code of Practice.

All children and young people are entitled to good quality teaching, differentiated according to their needs. For children and young people in Central Bedfordshire for whom there is deemed to be an additional need, there will continue to be a graduated response and guidance for all education providers. The new guidance is called stage 1 and stage 2, with stage 3 being the trigger for a formal request for a statutory EHC Plan through the process of statutory assessment.

The graduated response guidance has been drafted at the moment in the light of national guidance and is available from September 2014 at In the meantime, you can see the current guidance with regard to SA and SA+ using the following link and for early years here.

Local Offer

The 'Local Offer' provides information for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities and their parents and carers in one place. The Local Offer for Central Bedfordshire can be found at

Fairfield Park Lower School- Local Offer.

Identifying need and SEN provision

At Fairfield Park we follow the Graduated approach to SEN, which has three categories:

  • Stage 1: Your child is receiving differentiated, quality first teaching, interventions and support as outlined in the class provision map.
  • Stage 2: Your child is receiving additional support in class and has an Individual Education Plan (IEP) which targets their area of need.
  • Stage 3: Your child has been identified as having needs and strategies that require extra support and for resources to access the curriculum. Your child maybe receiving external agency support and will have a statement of educational needs through an Education, Health Care Plan (EHC). Additionally support will be given to meet the areas of need on the EHC Plan.

Inclusion and Support for Children with SEN at Fairfield Park Lower School.

Our policy is:

"Each pupil is valued and has a right to learn regardless of needs or ability."
Please see our SEN Policy for SEN principles and procedures for more detail on this school policy page of this website.

Raising Concerns

We work closely with our parents to support children in their learning and progress, if you have a concern about your child you can speak to the class teacher, SENCo or Head Teacher.

Special Educational Needs Support.

Our SENCo oversees all support and progress of children who require additional support across the school.

Children identified as having special educational needs are included in the school's special needs programme.

The class teacher will oversee, plan and work with each child with SEND in their class to ensure progress in each area in made. Learning Support Assistants may also work with your child individually or as part of a group.

The school building has easy wheelchair access, hearing aid loops, adult and child disabled toilet facilities.


There is the opportunity for daily communication on the door with the class teacher or Learning Support Assistant. Parent's evenings are held twice a year and IEP/ECH Plan meetings between parents and class teachers are held each term to discuss needs, targets and progress.

For further information and support a meeting can be made with the SENCO.

Governor Support.

The Governor for SEN monitors the provision provided by the school, on a regular basis and meets with the SENCo each term.

The SENCo reports to the Governors each term to inform them of progress of children with SEND across the school. This report does not refer to individual children.

Specialist Services.

The SENCo is fully qualified and accredited.

As a school we work closely with many external agencies that are relevant for individual children's needs. These include; GP's, School Nurse, Speech and Language Therapists, Early Years Advisors, Educational Psychologists, Occupational therapists, Paediatricians and Social Workers.

Further Information.

The first point of contact is your child's Class teacher.

You can arrange to meet with a SENCo call the school on 01462 830000.

Contact Parent Partnership Services 01234 316353 or

More information is also available on the Central Bedfordhisre SEND Newsletter and please see this leaflet for information about free drop in information sessions.

Special Educational Needs and Disabilities: Summary


  • A focus on early identification and effective strategies to support children with SEN. The school identifies and monitors children with special needs from the earliest stage and children's needs are viewed within the context of an inclusive curriculum.
  • All teachers are teachers of pupils with SEN and differentiate the curriculum accordingly.
  • Parents of children with SEN are informed and involved from the earliest opportunity.
  • We are committed to a multi-disciplinary approach to meeting pupils' special educational needs.
  • Individual inclusion files are kept for each class, containing information related to SEN and will follow the child through the school.
  • Equality of opportunities for all.


This policy follows the SEN Code of Practice (which takes account of the SEN provisions of the SEN and Disability Act 2001) September 2014.

The Special Educational Needs Code of Practice (2002) section 1:3 defines children having SEN as follows:

"Children have special educational needs if they have a learning difficulty which calls for Special Educational Provision to be made for them."

Special Educational Provision means: educational provision which is additional to, or otherwise different from, the educational provision made generally for children of their age in schools maintained by the LEA, other than special schools, in the area."

Responsible persons

Head teacher - is responsible for monitoring and evaluating the progress of all pupils.

SENCo - for liaising with everyone involved, coordinating provision and overseeing records, as recommended in the SEN Code of Practice 2014.

Governing Body - for monitoring provision and reporting annually to parents.

Class Teachers - for identifying initial concerns, monitoring progress and attainment, completing SEN paperwork including IEPs with the support of the SENCO. Also for showing differentiation in planning.

Parents - to support the school by attending meetings and helping their child on targets at home.

Access to a Broad and Balanced Curriculum

The majority of support takes place in the classroom. Small groups or individuals are occasionally withdrawn from the classroom in order to provide more targeted support.

A child with special educational needs may also be identified as Gifted and Talented (see G&T Policy).

View the S.E.N. changes document.

SEN Information Report

Whole School Provision Map